He Huffed and He Puffed...

...can he blow the house down?
Last week we focused on the classic The Three Little Pigs for our fairy tale study.   We divided into groups of 3 and used a different kind of material to build a house.  Then, the big bad wolf (a cleverly disguised hairdryer) came and try to blow the house down!  In my head, this activity was fun, and it's nice to know that it lived up to my expectations - the kids were so into it. 
Each group had 5 minutes to construct a pig dream house. Materials used were sugar cubes, legos, "smart" craft sticks, dominoes, gumdrops and toothpicks, and pipe cleaners. We had everything in our classroom and I'm sure there are loads of other great building materials out there.
Some of the houses surprised me!  What is your prediction for the pipe cleaner house below ("the silliest house ever!" as one girl declared)?
To get ready for this activity, we first read an original telling of the book and then we focused on all the great fractured fairy tales out there.  check your library - our local library had all the Fairy Tale versions grouped together for easy access.  Other 3 Pigs activities included writing about what material they would build with if they were a pig and creating a Venn Diagram comparing the original tale and a fractured tale.

5 comments:

reaton said...

What a great idea! I'm definitely going to be trying this one.

Renee Eaton

Ticia said...

What a fun idea!

Conner4 said...

Super idea! I have got to try this with my kids. They will love it!

Anonymous said...

OMG this is amazing!!! Did you assign each group a building material or did the groups get to pick their building material??

Amie Plumley said...

Thanks! I chose the items due to my set-up and time; however having the kids pick would be fun!